Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Back at it!

The proof is in the pudding, so to speak. My lats are sore, my shoulders ache, and there's a peculiar feeling in my core when I laugh or sneeze. And because I'm not an especially serious person who loves to laugh, and sneezing is something that you just shouldn't hold back - this morning I found myself in a bit of discomfort.

And really, I couldn't be happier.

It's because yesterday, I jumped in the pool for the first time since being sick. Cue the applause, the orchestra swelling, the birds singing, rainbows and butterflies everywhere... and all that good stuff.

It did feel a bit of a miracle that I made it all the way through my Master's workout. There's something just so wrong about swimming 4100 meters on your first go - but I was too happy to complain. Instead, I jumped to the back of Lane 3, ignored the usual swim-as-fast-as-you-can-for-the-pull-set-antics, and did the entire workout. Even when those guilty of swimming-as-fast-as-they-could-for-the-entire-pull-set had to "rest" on the wall or get out early because of "work".

Yeah sure.

Just goes to show that (sometimes) slow and steady is the way to be.

Although my swimming (I'm sure) looked pretty ugly at the end. The fast 200s were pretty painful, especially as the lane leaders didn't get the memo about taking it easy on the 100s. But, since I was drafting off the back and therefore not being responsible by leading, I kept my trap shut.

But the 200s were still painful. All bloody 4 of them. At one point, I though my lungs would explode and I wondered what that image would look like in the middle of my 3rd 50 on an especially grueling 200. A pair of overworked lungs sinking to the bottom gasping for air that isn't there while Marit looks on in disbelief...and the coach on the deck shouts to keep going with the set...and the people who swam too fast for the pull set taking it easy on the wall exclaim 'that's why we only swim hard early...'

Yeah, not so much about the fantasy-situations mid-swim. It only made me giggle, which was pretty hard to do while going all-out. I don't suggest that you try it.

Somehow I survived and was no worse for the wear. I knew that the lack of sensation in the triceps and lats would only be temporary. The real pain would be felt the next morning - like right now.

Ow ow ow ow ow.

But I'll take it - at least its better than constantly blowing my nose or dealing with sinus pressure. Thankfully, both - the sinus pressure and snot build up - seem to be gone (knock on wood! I'm superstitious, so I just knocked on a wooden end table - you would be wise to do the same. Why? I don't really know. It's just something I do...I guess...like breathing.), and I'm really feeling better.

So much, so that I volunteered to climb Palomar this week. I think my coach dropped her M&Ms or something in excitement, because the next thing I knew, it was on my Saturday workout - along with a lot of other stuff this week.

So I guess, the pain in my lats and core is just the tip of the ice berg. But I'm not complaining. I'll do what I did yesterday during my swim: shut up and push through. Because in the end, that's what I'll need to do if I want to accomplish my season goals. Tough times ahead, yes - but well worth it in the end.

Funny thing? Yesterday was my 'easy' day. But I'm not laughing. It's too painful. This week should be interesting...stay tuned!

Hurrah for training and being healthy! Three cheers!!! Sorry I can't throw my arms up in the air - it hurts! But the excitement and enthusiasm is there...

12 comments:

GoBigGreen said...

A healthy horray! It will be cool to climb Palomar after the ToC went thru ...stop and see if any pros abandoned their wheels in a ditch or maybe someone wrote GO MARIT with chalk on the road:)

Beth said...

YIPPEEEE!!! Swimming will be a piece of cake in no time Marit! Okay, swimming is never a piece of cake...but you know what I mean. So glad you are back at it 100%!

Jen Rife said...

Glad to hear you are feeling better!

Michelle Simmons said...

Cheers! Hope you're still cheering when you're half way up Palomar on Saturday! ;)

ADC said...

Yay for the swim, I am so glad you are feeling better and are back in training.

Jennifer Harrison said...

Isn't being HEALTHY better than anything else? I think so. Welcome back!

Jennifer Harrison said...

Isn't being HEALTHY better than anything else? I think so. Welcome back!

Jennifer Harrison said...

Isn't being HEALTHY better than anything else? I think so. Welcome back!

Kim said...

Wow.. Jen is really happy about you being back. She posted like four times.. did you see that! I'm happy your back too my friend. That is awesome and yipppeee for Palomar at the end of the week. Rocking.. you are going to enjoy it (not as much as without me, but still quite a bit!) Miss you! Let's talk soon!

Shan said...

Welcome back Marit!!! I'm so glad you are feeling better :)

Charisa said...

Yah for healthy! :)

m said...

Wow, Jen never comments triple time for anyone! She must've been really excited about your swim!

Glad you're back and swimming. Some people do have to get out and go to work some times for real. But I'm guessing these people may also still be sitting in the locker room when everyone else is finishing up the workout they had to leave.