Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Food for Thought

This is a classic poem by non other than the great Robert Frost. As I was going through my day, I kept returning to the final line: I took the one less traveled, and that has made all the difference. Sometimes you have days where introspection and writing is really helpful. There are other days where you just need a bit of inspiration, or "food for thought", so to speak.

Here it is, by Robert Frost (1874-1963) THE ROAD NOT TAKEN

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh! I kept the first for another day
Yet knowing how way leads onto way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-
I took the one less travelled by,
And that has made all the difference.

I hope that you enjoy! Each time I read this poem, I learn something new about myself, or am able to place it into my own context. I suppose this retrospection is a result from my big race in a week or so (not that I'm counting!). I am happy with the road that I've taken, even though there are lots of twists and turns. Its not the "normal" road, or a road that many people would choose, and that has made all the difference.

*Although, I don't particularily enjoy the "bumpy" roads or the "crotch-killer" roads as I call them while I'm biking. You know what I mean - beautiful back country roads that unfortunately have a lot of bumps, uneven surfaces, and the reverbrations from the pavement hit you directly is some pretty senseitive areas. THOSE roads aren't that great - but I suppose they're just part of the process. Another road taken.

Hurrah for Robert Frost and his inspirational messages in writing. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm about to go have a late-night snack. FEED ME SEYMORE! Alas, that's a whole new blog all together.

No comments: