Sunday, October 17, 2010

Training Mojo

It's been an interesting, good, fun week, training-wise. And for the life of me, I can't remember the last time I said that. I'm finding that my body can pretty much handle 10-12 hours of training without getting sick (KNOCK ON WOOD), and in all honesty - I'm really really really enjoying myself.

Repeat: I'm really really really enjoying myself!

I'm still wrapping my head around the recent health "adventures" (is that the right word?).... heath "escapades"....healthcapades?

No - that sounds too much like "icecapades" for my liking.

I'm still trying to come to terms with everything that has happened this year. And while I've accepted the fact that setting a new half marathon PR is not realistic for my November 14th race, at the end of the day - I love the structure of workouts, of running, and beginning to feel bits of Healthy/Happy/Athletic Marit resurfacing. But most of all (and the most important) I'm having fun.

I've always loved running, loved working hard and putting myself out there - feeling the tremendous satisfaction of pushing beyond what I thought was possible, one sweaty, caboose-like breath at a time.

And no, I'm not (nearly) as fast as I used to be. But you know what? Right now... after everything that has happened.... I don't give two shits about my time or pace. At this point, victory is lining up ON the starting line, as happy and healthy as I can be.

Okay... that's a slight fudge. But very slight.

I AM doing tempo work, have some fast stuff on the schedule.... and that work is keeping me honest. Trust me - running 5 or 6 miles at "goal race pace" will do just that. Keep you honest.

At the end of the day, I just want to have the best race that I can possibly have - everything else is (as I so frequently say) icing on the proverbial sheet cake.

And on a completely different note.... I don't think Joel McHale from "The Soup" (Nathaniel's favorite show...) thinks very highly of the "Real Hosewives of Beverly Hills." Just a hunch. But you be the judge -
Have a great week everyone!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Marit you are finally starting to sound happy and excited about stuff again!! :) And... did you see the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills? OMG. it. is. unbelievable!!!

Marit C-L said...

Ha ha - yes ER... sadly I watched snippets of it. COMPLETELY unbelievable!

Yes - I AM happy about training.... I'm just having fun with it - :)

Beth said...

Yes! Great to hear you sounding happy and excited about training again...like ER said!! Woo-hoo!! Keep up the great work Marit!!

PS I need a "will run for Noodles" bumper sticker. :)

D said...

The only statement I've heard from that show, and this isn't a direct quote, is "Don't judge me for having 4 nannies and 2 kids". It'd be a lot easier to handle that if it weren't *real*.

Good for you for getting the fun back! I'm loving the training again, but the race times... well... ick. And all I have to look back on is laziness lol

cherelli said...

Yaaaay Marit! Glad to hear you're enjoying moving your body lots (10-12hrs is a great weekly total!!) Hope you have a beautiful day for your half marathon :)

runningyankee said...

i have to admit to being a huge soup fan.. but also a closet (in a train wreck sort of way) fan of the housewives... oh man.. glad you are back on the circuit! and feeling great. love it.

Angela and David said...

I love the whole Real Housewives series. It is my guilty pleasure. And I saw the entire Hollywood episode. Frasier's wife is unbelievable. And I love me some Joel McHale. Ahh, heart flutters.

You are back! So glad you are enjoying the training and are happy. You deserve it!

GoBigGreen said...

Ok that bumper sticker screams " I will be home FALL 2011 for the beer mile" I mean seriously, it is the most competitive domestic field i have seen. DKT did a 6:02. Yes. That is with the beers. IT is my A race after IMMOO of course for 2011.
And i did keep my eyes open for the housewives of OC, Vicki didnt seem to be in my wave of the race. And yes i used to watch that but i cant seem to watch the other one's. There is only one Housewives show and its the Housewives of OC.
Heee heee, you are smiling. I know it. Go for it.

m said...

10-12 hours of weekly training sounds really good to me!

I don't watch the soup much, but when I do I always love it. That guys is hilarious.

Host Pay Per Head said...

It is quite a lot of time that you invest training and I glad to hear that you don't problems with it.

Tracey said...

In order to open yourself fully in sports and fitness, you need to mobilize all available energy resourses of your body. This requires proper nutrition. To provide my body with enough nutrients without overeating I am taking dietary supplement Multipurpose High-Potency Super Nutritional Complex, manufactured by Military Grade Nutritionals. Sometimes people feel tired. This is normal. But due to this supplement, I forgot when I felt fatigue last time. I am able to hit the gym whenever I want and still have lots of energy for active recreation with my family. I live in constant motion and I enjoy it!

Florence said...


I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Life Clinic, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Life Clinic via their website at www.ultimatelifeclinic.com . I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!