Thursday, March 19, 2009

Utah in May 2010? Sounds loveley!

So... I realized how much I wanted to do Ironman St. George (UTAH!) when, while completing the weekly grocery shopping, I noticed I was buying things that Nathaniel really really likes.

Like ingredients for Turkey Loaf.

Yes, I am happy to announce, that the way to my husband's heart is through my TopSecret! Turkey Loaf recipe. Well, that or a coconut ritter sport... Yeah, he likes those as well.

I've been contemplating IM St. George for a while, but through the ins and outs of daily life (you know how it is), the thought was (conveniently) pushed towards the back burner. Then - thanks to Ryan - I realized that registration had opened.

And suddenly, I knew I had a big decision to make.

Because as we've ALL learned, Ironman isn't only about the individual. Its the friends and family who also sacrifice for us to (literally) chase down our dreams. The financial obligation is just the tip of the iceberg. And while it definitely hurts to click the $550 "submit" button, that's nothing compared to the early morning rides and runs, endless laps at the pool, the early bed times, and so on and so forth.

After a frantic email to Jen, I called Nathaniel and left a long, long, L-O-N-G message.

It went something like this (the stuff in italics was kept to myself):

Hi Sweetheart! How are you? How was your flight??? I bet that 29 Palms looked great! (can you tell I was buttering him up??) I'm okay - just something came up. Really, don't worry. Um, you see - there's this Ironman...(that should have raised the warning flag right then and there)... and it's in Utah - only like 6 hours away from here... (meaning CHEAP because of no airfare and we won't need to stay as many nights)...and I've been thinking about it for a while... (but too scatter brained to mention it due to the already completed long rides, runs, swims, etc)...and Jen said that it was okay... (as long as the coach gives the all-clear, right?!?)... but I just wanted to double check with you, because this would affect you as well. So, even though I think I really want to do it... (this thought will probably change at mile 18 of IM CDA to 'what the hell was I thinking signing up for a second ironman before I completed the first!???')...I want to wait to sign up for it until after we can discuss it together... (I deserve an award for calling him first before mobbing the computer to submit my entry...)


And then I hung up.

And waited...and waited...and waited...


Sheesh?!!? How long can it take to get the message??

So in between the 6 other calls I made, I went grocery shopping, and paced. Literally paced. Because it was only when Nathaniel didn't call right away that I realized how upset I would be if the race filled up before I was able to gain entry.

Call me crazy (as I'm sure some of you will), but so far (knock on wood), I'm really enjoying IM training. I love the long rides, the challenge of running far, swimming extra laps after Masters. And though I CERTAINLY realize that the training is extremely different than the race (because as many of you know I missed Arizona and have yet to do Coeur d'Alene), I just get a lot of enjoyment out of what I'm doing right now.

Finally, Nathaniel got back to me... I think I jumped about three feet when the phone buzzed. After a brief conversation, Nathaniel simply asked if doing this would make me happy.

"YES!" I yelled!

"Then, there's your answer..." he replied.

About ten minutes later, after filling out the standard information and then staring at the SUBMIT button for eight minutes thinking What-am-I-doing-what-if-I-decide-during-CDA-that-I-hate-ironman-and-that-I-never-want-to-do-it-again.... I hit ENTER and was confirmed as an official entrant.

I figure that if I really hate it that much, well, then I just won't do it. But I would rather loose the entry than regret never going for it in the first place. Besides - the M-Dot corporation (think of them what you will. I love the little guys and support as many smaller races as I can! I don't like the expensive entry fees - but then again, I just willingly paid for an entry. So there you have it...), seems to be doing a good job with this race. And I DO love Utah...

So there you have it.

Fingers crossed and knock on wood I'll have the opportunity to race in St. George on May 1, 2010. And I'm so excited - I can't wait!

Now - time to go train. Functional Lift and some bike work is on the schedule. Hooray!

Oh yeah - and Turkey Loaf, as promised. Can't forget about that one.

18 comments:

D said...

That man is definitely a keeper! ;)
I wish I had $1000 (have you seen the exchange rate lately? sheesh) to sign up for another cool Ironman. Instead I might spend next year traveling around and just spectating my ass off!

Funny, I have lift and bike tomorrow... only cuz I screwed up my schedule by not getting out of bed yesterday though lol

Angi Axmann said...

Congrats on signing up for the IM!!! I love Ritter Sport, I visited the Ritter Sport Factory and it was fantastic, there are so many great flavors that we can't get in the US...I LOVE RITTER SPORT:-)

Michelle Simmons said...

Congrats on your decision!! I'm totally with you on enjoying training for an Ironman. I love the long stuff. Though I think I've always enjoyed the training more than the actual race itself...

Anonymous said...

YAY, congrats!!! You will love IM - so do not worry :-)

Missy said...

Woohoo, yep, all the talk at Masters yesterday. It IS such a huge deal to the family - got to get them on board or it spells disaster. Sounds like a great plan to me. Yous gonna loooove it.

Anonymous said...

After seeing you train, I have no doubts you will love the ironman distance! Keep up the hard work, diesel!

Shan said...

Hehehe your post is the antithesis to my anti-IM post just now... ;). Can I come over for some Turkey Loaf? hehe

Stoked for you Marit - St. George looks like a gorgeous place!

runningyankee said...

its a good decision! and having the support of nate is fantastic. what a wonderful husband who really understands your passion! that is worth its weight in turkey loaf and then some :)

ADC said...

Well you know what I think of this - let's do this together. Hopefully I can get an entry today. And I love that you talk to Nate first - Shaun usually just get told. Probably because he does it as much as me and really shouldn't complain. Oh, it will be fun.

Mary Eggers said...

I am sooooooooo glad you did not call me. I would not have answered. No way.

Maggs said...

Too funny you were buttering him up with stuff. Turkey loaf sounds good though.

Ryan said...

Party in Utah...Ok maybe not a party. Isn't it a dry state or something darn near close? Anyway, WooHoo!

I think you made the right decision. Although my first IM was a total disaster (read: sharting is never good) I was totally bummed to have to wait an entire year for another shot.

Ok, so let's start our plan of attack. We'll work together on the swim with 1 min pulls with every 5 minutes a good surge. I can set the pace on the bike until miles 45 and 90 where all of a sudden a 1000 ft hill appears. And then you pull me through the marathon. Sound Good? Good. Now I've got to go set my trainer for hills :-0

Trigirlpink said...

I agree, looks like a nice venue not so good for the New Englander though! Hope your training is going well for CdA.

TriGirl Kate O said...

I too signed up for IM #2 before even having finished #1. Yes, at mile 18 you WILL be thinking "Holy Crap, I have to do this again in HOW many months?!!" Whoo hoo! Only thing left to do now is forget about #2, and train like mad for #1. Are we on for Vineman 2010 (70.3)?!

Rebecca DeWire said...

Your post sounds similar to a situation that I was in last year. I had signed up for both Beach2Battleship full (Nov 08) and IMCDA 09. While I was having a tough run at Duke half I thought that I was insane to have signed up for 2 IMs (I wrote this exact sentence in my race report). Good luck with your training and I look forward to following your story while you prepare for CDA.

Beth said...

The training is the hardest part right? So if you love the training... ;) Congrats Marit! I can't wait to follow along on your journey!

GoBigGreen said...

Did you hold out on the fudge? that would have been a super bribe reward:) Go For it. you can always bail and nobody cares bc you have to do what is right for you. You now have the opportunity and just wait and see!

Amber and Eric Rydholm said...

We'll see you in Utah as Amber and I just signed up.
-Eric