Sunday, April 25, 2010

As far from triathlon as possible. Seriously.

The first half of the weekend was spent doing stuff like this:









And it was FANTASTIC!

The second part...well... Nathaniel spent much of it prepping for upcoming flights, while I prepared for an audition. Because the symphony will be out of session for two months in the summer, I'm working towards earning my Suzuki Music Teaching Certificate (with an emphasis on violin). Yea! Part of this involves an audition DVD.

Oh. Shit.

Don't laugh. But... It only took six completed performances and 40+ incomplete takes for me to pick the as-close-to-perfect-without-being-too-OCD "right" one. In the end I picked rendition # 3. But I still had a good time in the process.

And I can safely say that Nathaniel can now whistle (from memory) the first movement of Bach's A minor violin concerto. Including the trills. Luckily, my neighbors are saints (or currently out of town).

No word on re-re-re-re starting training, though I'm hoping for sometime next week. In the meantime, I'll keep practicing, prepping for next weekend's performances, hiking with Nathaniel, and poking fun of him for the massive amounts of gear he takes with him on each flight. For real: it makes my transition bag look like, um... well - very lightweight. (Which is pretty pathetic if you ask me...)

Congratulations to all the people who raced this weekend! WOO HOO - great job! I had fun watching the results roll in, even if I couldn't be out there training or racing. Soon....when the time is right....

11 comments:

Lisa Eirene said...

That looks like a great hike! Where were you that there's still snow?

ADC said...

You could be somewhere in the UK in that telephone box :))))
I've been thinking of you guys this weekend.

Marit C-L said...

East County (San Diego) at elevations above 4000+ feet got snow late last week. The weather gods definitely have a sense of humor for SoCal.... Alaskan Low Pressure systems are hitting us one after another and the jet stream is perfectly positioned to deliver the final punch. We love it.

jennabul said...

Great pictures, as usual! Good luck with the Suzuki Music Teaching Certificate! I hope you get it =). I also hope your nasty, yucky sinus infection/pneumonia is almost GONE!

cherelli said...

Looks like an awesome time Marit! Good luck for next weekends performances :)

Aimee said...

Looks like an awesome adventure!

Good luck on your teaching certificate! :)

Beth said...

Soon will be your time is right Marit!! :) And in the mean time I know you are making the MOST of your time. The hiking pictures are just awesome - looks so, so fun with your favorite guy!

GoBigGreen said...

You know as much as I KNOW you are really not happy about the current health situation ( and i dont mean health care reform!) I just think you look great. I so admire your ability to bounce back, be upbeat, keep moving and not sit with a giant sheet cake eating all the corners. Well that would only be 4 wouldnt it?

I am sorta punchy but i cant tell you how nice it was to see all your emails while i was in Texas. Seriously. Thank you. and if you come home this summer in the re-re-re-re training mode I am all up for some runs and swims!

Charisa said...

Looks like a great weekend - beautiful snow! Glad you're having fun with Nathaniel.

Sounds like you are getting healthy too - yeah! :)

Eileen Swanson said...

Love the pics Marit!! Looks like tons of fun....

runningyankee said...

its all about balance. and you embody that perfectly. i think most of us would fixate on what we cant do and you do an awesome job of showing what you CAN do. though despite what JM said..a little sheet cake never hurt anyone. keep doing what you're doing :)