Monday, December 29, 2008

SNOW!


Yes, my friends who are covered in the white stuff, you read the title correctly.

Snow.

And to prove that we do get it here in sunny So Cal, I've got photographic evidence. Sure, we had to ascend to 5000+ feet in order to get them. But it does exist.

For the record, last week Nathaniel and I drove to Mt. Palomar. Yes, it felt slightly odd to be on the mountain sans bike. We did make great time to the top, though... But lest I feel too sorry for myself (or my bike), I need to remember that next week I'll be back.

With the bike. And a shit tonne of gear to pile on for the descent. It is cold up there!

Seriously - Nathaniel and I were bored the day after Christmas, so we decided to go for a drive. No - not shopping (we were "shopped" out), and nothing, absolutely nothing involving food or wine tasting. The Berenstein Bears and too much holiday food and drink! Nope, we have officially started doing things that "old married couples" do.

We have resorted to taking long drives in the country.

(Raise your hand if you're under the age of 40 and have ever done this with your significant other. Didn't think so.

But in our defense, we opted to hike at the top.

We just weren't wearing the proper foot attire, hence the butt scoot:
Nothing says Safety! and Great Planning! like old running shoes while one is trying to hike down a steep, ice-crusted mountain slope. Had I slipped, the frozen creek bed at the bottom of the big hill would have saved me. At least that was my thought at the time. The dignity would have been gone, but at least I wouldn't be over an edge or anything.

It was a great time, though. I survived Nathaniel's fast driving through mountain passes, and he didn't roll his eyes too much at my back-seated driving. In my defense, the guy drives as though he's flying a helicopter: low and fast! Throw in a few sharp banks, er, turns, and you've got the general idea.

And there I am, sitting in the front seat, right leg firmly stomped on the invisible break on my side. As though that will help. Occasionally I would say helpful things like, "I almost ran off the road here at one point - you had better slow down..." or, "Gee, that 20 mph turn up ahead doesn't look really well banked. You should probably go under 40."

And my favorite?

"SLOW DOWN! YOU ARE GOING TO GET US KILLED! And they you'll have to live with that for the rest of your life!"

Not really a "helpful" suggestion, but it made me feel better to get it off my chest.

But it was a great day, a beautiful drive, and an excellent hike. The Hot Chocolate from the Palomar General Store made the day. Next week when I find myself gasping for breath at the top, cursing my bike and myself for even suggestion to Jen that I climb Palomar in the first place, I'll be sure to stop for a cup of the stuff. It's delicious!

And I remember somewhere reading something about how chocolate milk is the perfect recovery drink. I vote Hot Cocoa as a suitable winter substitute. What do you think?

Oh - and to show how much I love nature, let it be known that I'm a tree hugger. A Palomar-covered-in-snow-after-a-drive-that-I've-survived-with-a-husband-that-I-love tree hugger.

9 comments:

ADC said...

Yep, we go for a drive in the country too. Sad, I know. But i still can't believe there is snow in South Cal.

Steve Stenzel said...

If there's one thing I've learned in my many years in MN, "butt scoots" get the job done when it's too slick to do anything else.

;)

Enjoy it! (Even if you have to climb to 5000 feet to find it...)

Dave said...

Hot cocoa is ABSOLUTELY a perfect substitute! (I have no idea if this is actually true, but I use it that way too.)

Does driving to Idaho count?

Charisa said...

Country drives are awesome - Steven and I love to do this. Love the snowy pics :)

Bob Mitera said...

You have more snow than we do now! All of our snow is now water and flooding people's basements, rivers, etc.

BreeWee said...

It is so funny to go to your blog and see snow after all the months of reading about beach and ocean Florida life!

You look so happy and smiling... SO happy for you!

Happy New years to you and Nate!! Keep that smile and I am excited for you to get back into racing in 09... redemption time!! Cheering you on!

Alicia Parr said...

So now I know that 40 is the magic age where I become "old and married." Excellent. Right around the corner.

FWIW, Gary and I have done drives in the countryside, although we may not count because Gary is already over 40.

Chad Holderbaum said...

That's the best part about California. One minute you can be on the coast in shorts and the next minute you can be at 5000 feet driving through the snow. Enjoy your new year Marit!

Jennifer Harrison said...

Oh, so missing Polamar! And, snow up there, I love it! I agree, that is one of the nice things about CA, snow one minute and beach the next! I am so glad you are enjoying it all! Nice chatting w/ you today! :) happy new year!