Sunday, March 7, 2010

Soaked.

It would just so happen that - after triple checking weather.com before my long Sunday bike ride and seeing (what I thought was) the "all clear" - I would head out for my ride and spend only the first 10 minutes dry.

As it turned out, biking for 2 hours and twenty minutes in pouring rain isn't all its cracked up to be. But...it's not totally or horribly awful. Its just a matter of perspective, I guess.

I don't know what was worse: climbing endless hill after endless hill (because at least while biking UP UP UP I was going slow, therefore the wind and driving rain didn't seem quite as bad) and feeling like my quads were about to give out at any second OR soft-pedaling down the other side into the driving wind and rain. I think my fingers froze while gripping the brakes. Did I mention it was barely 50 degrees?

Yes - I get little sympathy from my Northern Counterparts.

However - I give you ALL my respect for braving the elements that you are forced to endure. And even drew strength from Julia's 4-hour ride in freezing Minnesota temperatures. If she could HTFU for four hours, I could pull up my Big Girl Panties and hang on for the final 2:20.

Gulp.

When the guy with the Team Ouch-Maxxis Kit blew by me, I imagined that it was Floyd Landis...it made his rapidly disappearing figure seem bearable, and my slow speed acceptable. And when I looked behind me while climbing the hills of San Elijo and Elfin Forrest and saw a guy on a mountain bike enjoying my draft - well, I resisted blowing a snot rocket in his direction. My sinuses are still recovering, and my snot rockets aren't waht they used to be. Besides, who needs aero bars and high tech bikes when its raining cats and dogs and blowing 20 mph?

But it wasn't pretty.

Then again, it didn't need to be. I just needed to DO it, not think about it, not ponder, not question - just do. Just go. Just focus. And get it done.

So I did.

To pass time while climbing at a snail's pace, I thought the following about my predicament...

S: Silly me. Never trust the radar, weatherman, or anyone associated with California Low Pressure Systems.

O: Ouch...I can't feel my fingers. Or toes. I should probably release my death-like-grip from my brake handles. Oh boy...shifting is becoming difficult.

A: "Always look on the bright side of life...."(in a sing-song voice)

K: Killer. I killed my Powertap, 43 minutes into the ride. It just gave out. Luckily I kept going. I think its time to head to the bike shop...

E: ENOUGH RAIN ALREADY! Seriously! I can handle one - not THREE major things (wind, "cold", driving pouring relentless rain). But I'm 1:15 away from my house - and the shortest way home is going back the way I came. Mother Nature - clearly - does not have a sense of humor.

D: Done. I finished the ride, managed to survive the elements, and though the 30-minute steaming hot shower felt great...the irony of the rain abating mere minutes after I walked through the door was not lost on me. Let's just not go there.

And the next time there's major rain, wind, and cool-ish temps...? Sign me up - I'm ready. I think I'll tweak my wardrobe...and maybe add some toe warmers to the mix...OR - just never trust the weatherman. Even better.

Here's to braving the elements, surviving intact, and looking forward to another day. Maybe with some sunshine next time...

17 comments:

D said...

Sounds similar (though longer) to my favorite ride of 2009: race week in CdA! :)

ADC said...

But if you have to ride in rain all the time it does get a bit boring. I want some sunshine, it'a about time.

Maria said...

I nominate you for this weeks HTFU award...not so much because of the weather (and you know why) but because you endured it while recovering from surgery and didn't play the hospital card. Congratulations Marit, you're a trooper!

trailrunner said...

Awesome blog...glad I found it...living in WA, I feel your rain pain!

Angela and David said...

50 and in the rain is hardcore. I don't go out unless the temps start with a 6, which means I rarely go out. Good job suffering through it.

cherelli said...

well done Marit. Give me slow uphills over freezing downhill temps any day though :0

Michelle Simmons said...

I don't mind being wet when I ride, but wet AND cold is the worst! Glad you survived!

Tawnee Prazak, M.S., CSCS said...

You're awesome! That weather was nasty. I did not live up to the HTFU mantra yesterday.

GoBigGreen said...

Oh man, Marit, you totally win, bc I cant do rain. When i used to cycle only i would never ride in the rain i just didnt do it. That meant you had to clean your bike. Brr....hope you are warmed up!

Charisa said...

We've had so much rain this year. Nice job on the ride :) At least the hills are green!

jennabul said...

Great job being on the hills in the rain. Downhills scare me to begin with so doing them in the rain gives you major props, IMO. The radar has screwed with me before as well, so I feel you there! Toe warmers are great, they keep your feet dry! Hopefully Spring comes to us soon, you're having a pretty bad Winter - in San Diego terms!

Molly said...

Great job getting it done!!! Those conditions can be hard to ride in but toughing it out pays off later. When experiencing my Boise 70.3 rain/hail/thunderstorm on race day, I was happy I'd done some of my training rides in bad winter weather.

Beth said...

Oh ouch! A cold rain is the worst - I'd rather it be colder and snow so you don't get as wet! Way to get out there though. Hopefully your next ride will be all sun! :)

Trigirlpink said...

eeeks..... now just think, you won't get ANY sinus infections after being out there in the cold and rain now that you've been drilled and cleaned out! Yipppeee!

Trigirlpink said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Teresa said...

Cold is tuff, but wet and cold makes you a superwoman....nice job!
tn

Marni Sumbal, MS, RD said...

Rain is heading our way tomorrow. Campy and I were enjoying the sunshine today! I know all about riding in sun and then riding in rain. I'm sure you don't miss Florida summer training :)
What's the big race this year?
Hope you are well!
-marn