Sunday, May 18, 2008

Flag Unfurling

I've heard that patience is a virtue.

But when one is unfurling millions of little Norwegian flags attached to itty-bitty threads of string, patience soon runs out. Save yourself the trouble, trust me.

These past 8 weeks and 6 days (not that I'm counting), I've learned a lot about patience. Thanks to some wonderful friends and support - Jen, Ness, Nathaniel, the parents, doctors, Ludi, Ashley, Liz, Mary, Leslie, and dozens of others that I probably forgot because I don't have the patience to continue - I've gotten through the worst time (recovery wise). After a poignant (and gutsy, I might add) email from Ness about REALLY taking my time and allowing my body to recover BEFORE swimming or returning to training, I exercised my own lesson in patience.

No pun intended.

So, one would THINK - with my newfound recovery patience - that I'm a "pro" when it comes to waiting, taking my time, etc etc etc.

But no.

And I came to this conclusion after the third flag of gazillions ripped from the tiny spindle of thread, while I was trying to hang streamers of Norwegian flags from the windos, buffets, doorways, and fireplaces, and any other suitable display place in my parent's house.

What I originally deemed a "5 minute decorating task", quickly turned into a 50 minute marathon session. And there were only 7 banners of flags hung decoratively around the house. YOU do the math, I'm to impatient to attempt.

But the house looked great: all festive and decked out for the Norwegian Constitution Celebration.

Last night we had some great friend's - and fellow Norse people - over for dinner. Dad made beer brats, Mom made Czech potato salad, and I picked out the chocolate dessert cake. Not exactly Norwegian fare - but the herring, flags, streamers, festive napkins, and Hardunger fiddle music purchased at Ingebritsen's in Minneapolis (Scandinavian deli and gift store that has become a hotbed for Scandinavian-Minnesotan's all around.)

My Mom calls it Disney Land for people with a Scandinavian/Norwegian/Minnesotan accent.

And as I was browsing through the various flags, dolls, jewelery, coffee mugs (imprinted with "Uff-da!"), calendars, crafts, wooden salad bowls, and everything-else-I-could-ever-need-from-the-Motherland-er-homecountry, I couldn't agree more.

For yesterday's celebration, the house was decked out, the food was great, the company was better, and we had a great time. Beer Brats, Czech potato salad, chocolate cake and all. And the flags - daintily displayed throughout the house - added to the Norse feeling of our little celebration.

Just don't ask me to unfurl any more. I have a feeling that these will be up for a while.

3 comments:

Amber and Eric Rydholm said...

How long will you be in MN? Eric and I get in to the state on Friday (May 23) and will be back and forth between Eden Prairie and the Duluth-area for a full week...it would be fun to meet you in person if all the "stars align."

-Amber

Kellye Mills said...

I'm so glad that you have the opportunity to get home and visit with your family! Enjoy your time and the cooler weather while you can! :)

Courtenay said...

patience shmatience. i am not a fan (although it would probably be in my interest to become a fan).

i am so jealous you are in minnesota! i love it there! last year i got to stay in st. paul and the year before in minneapolis and both are cool. i hope you have tons of fun while you are there.