Friday, April 17, 2009
Mish Mash of Hodge Podge
Which is really all that this blog is. I've had several running blog topics or 'ideas' running through my brain, but somehow haven't committed to any single one yet. Blame it on the IM training, because that's what I'm doing. And while I'm at it, I need to thank Mary Bradbury for the 'Hodge Podge' idea in the first place.
Without further ado...
1) I haven't killed any plants yet. But the tomato is looking a little less-than-stellar. Note to self: watering daily is important...
2) I was hit HARD by a case of the grumps Wednesday morning. Don't ask why or how - I can't explain. Only while driving to the pool, when I made myself list a few positives, did they go away. I have a home, a roof over my head, a family that loves me, enough food on the table... Yeah, that will put things into perspective quick!
3) It only took 45 minutes to swap out the race wheels and re-hook-up the power meter. My biggest obstacle? I couldn't get the stupid zip ties to work in order to secure the bike computer mount to the stem. Instead of the 2 that are required to do the trick, I've got 4. Don't ask.
4) But I rode my Scott for the FIRST TIME yesterday since Oceanside. It was everything that I had hoped it would be and more. The cross winds weren't too horrible, the hill repeats didn't seem too hard, and I loved the feeling of not-having-trashed-legs-so-I-can-still-feel-strong-while-doing-the-workout. Good feeling will be gone in a few days, I imagine. I am, after all, still in the first week of IM build.
5). OhMyGosh! I'm at the FIRST WEEK of IM build! And there are (something like) 65 days left before Coeur d'Alene. Not that I'm counting...
6) I refuse to be bullied into leading the lane. I'll do the pull set - not a problem. I don't mind sharing. Heck, I'll even take turns for the mainset. But when I can barely make the interval for a killer 18 X 100 and there are faster people there who are just cruising in the back, I am MORE than willing to take my paddles and shove them, well... you get my point.
7) I will be spending as much time physically riding my bike and running on Saturday, as I slept last night. I'm riding 6+ hours (or until I hit 100 miles... the real kicker? I MUST stay on my bike a MINIMUM of 6 hours, and I must ride a MINIMUM of 100 miles. If I get the miles before the six hours are up, I have to remain on the bike...), and then running 40. Wow. I think post-ride sushi will be appropriate.
8) I don't like driving in the car for 100 miles. It seems so...long. And takes for-ev-er. Thankfully, I'll be on a bike!
9) I am in Peanut Butter Egg withdrawal. Yesterday when I had a chocolate gel, I wondered where they had hidden the peanut butter before I realized it was just a gel. small sigh.
10) Susan Boyle on "Britain's Got Talent". Simply amazing and the clip made me tear up. If you've got a few moments, its worth checking out.
11) After watching 3 past episodes of "The Office" on the web last night, Nathaniel and I are caught up. Wow - a lot has happened... For our viewing pleasure, I made a really good lentil dish and Nate cracked open a bottle of wine. Its nice when he's at home and not flying night flights!
12) There's a construction sight right next to the pool, as the high school is putting in a new stadium complex. Or something of the sort. Now I don't have a problem with that...the chocking diesel fumes from all the machinery that have been blowing into the pool, on the other hand... Nothing says 'Excellent' like coming up with a lung full of diesel fumes when you're trying desperately to make the 18 X 100 on x:xx pace.
13) Even though the hot tub isn't the best thing for me post-workout, man it feels good. After Saturday's session though, it'll be the ice bath - I'm sure. Nathaniel even volunteered to have it ready by the time I return from my run...
14) New swimming suits make me feel 1)fast 2)happy to swim 3)not naked - as my old ones were a little, errr, threadbare...
15)The House Monster and Mini Monster have decided to co-exist. Nope, they're not friends. But I think they accept each others presence. And Tabbitha growls while Anabelle chases her around the room. In case you're wondering, this extra dose of exercise has not prompted the Fat Grey Cat to loose a few pounds. The only time that they're close? When Tabbitha is asleep and Anabelle curls up as close as she can without touching Tabbitha.